Time-Life has sent out a press release on the Real Ghostbusters DVD set, now that the official announcement has been made at the San Diego Comic Con today. And while we’ve heard some of these details already, it’s good to get the official list. I’ve highlighted the stuff that caught me eye – it’s all good stuff, but there are some real notables in there;
THE REAL GHOSTBUSTERS: THE COMPLETE SERIES
Ship date: November 20, 2008
Online pre-order: July 23, 2008
List price: $179.99
Online Exclusive Collection includes [contents subject to change]:
* 25 total DVDs packaged in a specially-constructed box. 24 DVDs contain 134 episodes of The Real Ghostbusters, a special double-length alternate episode, and 13 episodes of Slimer!
* 5 DVD digipak subsets with individual covers, each packaged with a 16-page booklet, including episode synopses, trivia, and art.
* 1 Bonus DVD contains over three hours of bonus materials, including extended interviews, the never-before-seen promotional pilot (with commentary and storyboards), and more.
* 5 Documentaries spotlight Creating The Real Ghostbusters, Animating The Real Ghostbusters, The Heroes of The Real Ghostbusters, The Creatures of The Real Ghostbusters, and The Green World of Slimer.
* 21 innovative on-camera commentary tracks feature producers, writers, artists, voice actors, and other The Real Ghostbusters personnel. Watch the commentary participants as they interact, while inset screens show the episode and a dynamic slideshow.
* 86 special episodic introductions showcase the talented people behind The Real Ghostbusters.
* Exclusive interviews with Joe Medjuck (Executive Producer), Michael C. Gross (Executive Producer), J. Michael Straczynski (Writer & Story Editor), Len Janson (Writer & Story Editor), Maurice LaMarche (Voice Of ” Egon Spengler”), Laura Summer (Voice Of First “Janine Melnitz”), Kath Soucie (Voice Of Second “Janine Melnitz”), Kevin Altieri (Director & Storyboard Supervisor), Kathryn M. Drennan (Writer), Michael Edens (Writer), David Gerrold (Writer), Pamela Hickey (Writer), Dennys J. McCoy (Writer), Francis Moss (Writer), Richard T. Mueller (Writer), Marc Scott Zicree (Writer), Marsha Goodman (Voice Director & Voice Casting), Gabi Payn (Character Designer – Heroes), Everett Peck (Character Designer – Monsters), Michael Diederich (Designer), Brad Rader (Storyboard Artist), Dan Riba (Storyboard Artist), Michael Swanigan (Storyboard Artist), Rich Arons (Animator), Darrell McNeil (Layout Artist), Derdad Aghamalian (Color Key Artist), David S. Karoll (Color Key Artist), and James Eatock (Publisher of cereal:geek Magazine).
* Multiple image galleries of Character Designs, Backgrounds, Model Sheets, Promotional Art, Advertising Art, and more.
* Selection of dialogue-free “Music & Effects” episodic audio tracks
* Original series bumpers and textless “clean credits.”
* DVD-ROM Material: Series Bibles, Episodic Scripts and Storyboards in PDF format (Mac/PC compatible).
* Exciting material from the Sierra Ghostbusters; The Video Game
* More features to be announced.
“The Real Ghostbusters has had a strong and vocal fanbase for years, and the series has been one of the most requested shows for DVD release” says Jeff Peisch, head of Time Life’s video division. “Time Life has a long history of releasing classic properties in a way that viewers appreciate, and we intend this Complete Series release to be extraordinary. From the digitally restored episodes to the extensive bonus materials, this set will have fans calling for the Ghostbusters again and again.”
To produce the most comprehensive selection of extra materials ever seen for a complete animated television series box set, Time Life has engaged the services of Special Features producers Andy Mangels and Reed Kaplan. Mangels is a best-selling novelist, author of Animation on DVD: The Ultimate Guide, and the producer whom TVShowsonDVD.com called “legendary.” Mangels and Kaplan are producing the five documentaries, 21 commentary tracks, and a multitude of other extra content surprises. The duo were assisted by James Eatock of cereal:geek magazine. “I hope that fans will be spooked by how much cool material we’re putting together for this set,” said Mangels. “We’re including everything we can, short of duplicating the keys to the Ghostbusters car, the Ecto-1.” Covers for The Real Ghostbusters set and its interior cases will be by comic artist Emiliano Santalucia and MVCreations.