Mystery solved – that other Stay-Puft we saw was the Diamond Select piggy bank. I know this now, as I’ve found a picture of the light-up Mr. Stay-Puft, and you can’t confuse the two.
What’s a bit of surprise is that Diamond Select was showing off their light-up Statue of Liberty. It’s not walking, no Ghostbusters peeping out of her crown, nothing to distinguish her from regular New York souvenirs. And for only $70, like the Stay-Puft and Slimer! A little card says it’s still pending licensor approval – I wouldn’t hold my breath that this goes into production, not without some sort of…
OK, Diamond, pay attention; Things You Can Do To Make This More Ghostbusters-centric. (cost not accounted for)
– Put in little Ghostbusters in her crown. Subtle, but still…
– Make the stand look like water, have her head and arm sticking out like in the movie, plus Ghostbusters in crown, which are easier to see at the larger scale. Flaming torch can still light up.
– Make her look like she’s walking, about to crush a police car.
– Make her look like she’s looming over the museum, which being covered in pink slime shell could also light up.
– Any and all of the above can play Jackie Wilson’s Lifting Me Higher.
-Keep this statue mold, put her next to the key to the city ceremony at the end of GB2 with little people standing next to her.
But at this rate, you’re well on your way to another Ghostbusters Firehall Sign-type fiasco and cancellation.
Stay-Puft is due June 2011 and the Statue of Liberty, provided it goes ahead, is due October 2011 (Right. Spooky. Good thinking.)